Wednesday 1 April 2009

mink or gollum

With the temperature creeping up into the teens today so my Trout barometer shifted me riverwards accordingly. There was a little bit of a hatch & the odd fish was rising sporadically so I decided to try something Stuart Crofts suggested at a talk he gave to Horwich fly dressers, he recommended fishing a buzzer New Zealand style off a dry, not a fly combo I had previously tried on rivers but, one that definitely works. An injury I'm seeing increasingly on Trout in the river, it's not like the Heron stab marks you sometimes see on fish, this is more like a chunk that has been bitten out. I'm sure this is down to the mink that are present as the river here is devoid of Cormorant, Goosanders & Gollum.

7 comments:

Davide said...

cormoran?

Nick Carter said...

Me think Mink!

Tony said...

Goosander are around Nick I have seen them on my last two outings, Have you noticed a lack of smaller Trout? I know the waters low and it's early season but I'm sure the numbers are down??

Anonymous said...

i'm coming home with a shotgun

tom

Nick Carter said...

I do get that feeling Tony. I just hope that cause it's early doors the sports still a little slow...

Tony said...

I fished a few of the pools and glides and you seem to get one or two takes and thats it , last year you could get half a dozen takes and one or two fish, more if your luck was in. This time the fish seem to be in fast broken water only one fish n thats it. The fish could have retreated to that kind of water for any number of reasons I'm hoping it's because of the low water after spawning, the water does seem very clear? and thats whats making it a wee bit hard, but I do worry that another force is at work, I had thought it before your thread and the picture lets hope we are wrong.

Anonymous said...

alright carter,

another week passes and still not a bend in the rod or a wet line.

have become slightly waylaid and am now in peru. passed some incredibly trouty looking high mountain rivers which i might return to, we'll see.

check your e mail anyway as there will be a message waiting for you.

suerte,


bob w.